On-site stainless steel tank fabrication for over 30 years
SFI field crews build high quality, field erected stainless steel tanks in excess of 600,000 gallons on-site at customer locations. We provide strategic on-site fabrication solutions for projects of all levels of complexity. Whether it’s a tank built inside an existing structure or if the tank is too large to ship, our field crews can handle it.
We build field fabricated storage tanks and equipment:
- That are too large to ship
- In restricted areas, where scaffolding and/or cranes can’t be used
- For customers in a diverse group of industries
- Across the US and some foreign countries
- In remote geographical areas
- Day or night
Field erected storage tanks built by experienced craftsmen
When it comes to field erected stainless steel tanks, SFI has the knowledge and experience paired with highly skilled personnel, innovative equipment and a company-wide commitment to do our best for our customers. We are…
- well qualified and committed to meeting the needs of our customers.
- focused on providing a safe and efficient working environment.
- proud of the work we do!
Our field supervisors average over 20 years on the job at SFI and many of them worked in the industry prior to joining us.
To see a short animation depicting field erection of tanks, click here
Ladders, Platforms & Handrails
Many large field erected storage tanks require access to the top for maintenance. These tanks are outfitted with ladder assemblies designed per OSHA standards including components such as cages that wrap around the ladders, rest platforms at the required intervals, and handrails around the top.
For more information about ladders, platforms and handrails built by SFI, click here.
Shop Preprocessing Combined With Field Assembly
Prior to shipping to the jobsite, materials to be field assembled are preprocessed in our shop so the head and shell materials are already sheared and rolled when they arrive on-site. Once materials and equipment arrive, the crew can quickly begin field erection.
Our field crews are dedicated solely to on-site fabrication, making each member highly proficient in our field fabrication methods. As in the shop, all welders are ASME certified. Our field supervisors average over 20 years on the job at SFI and many of them worked in the industry prior to joining us.
Field Fabrication vs Shop FabricationAt about 50,000 to 60,000 gallons, tanks are getting too large to ship and need to be field fabricated. This is simply a guideline and many of the tanks that are field fabricated by SFI crews are half that size or smaller – even capacities as low as 5,000 gallons have been built on-site at customer facilities.
Some situations that make field fabrication a better option include:
- The tank will be located inside a building where doors are too small for a pre-fabricated tank.
- The location for the tank is outside, but under a roof where cranes cannot be utilized.
- Pipe racks or large pieces of equipment prevent moving a tank through the plant.
- There is no room to maneuver because the area where the tank will be located is too small.
- The tank will be in a basement where there is no access other than a freight elevator.
- The ceilings are too low to bring the tank in and stand it up using a crane.
- The tank needs to be built in place while a structure is being built around it.
- Work schedules for the various trades involved necessitate field fabrication to keep the construction project on track.
- Leadtime is short and field fabrication saves valuable time.
One of our strengths is finding ways to “make it happen”. Our Regional Managers work with customers every day to find the best ways to do the job and our field supervisors and crews are skilled at getting it done.
Field Fabricated Tank Construction
Our on-site fabrication methods allow the crew to work outdoors or in areas where there is limited access, such as under a roof, near another structure, etc. Because we use jacking devices, crews typically work at ground level eliminating the need for scaffolding and cranes. Working in this way is not only safer due to greater stability, but also saves both time and money.
The automated welding and grinding equipment and processes developed by SFI for use in the field provide quality workmanship. This, combined with our experienced personnel and ground level worksite, means a higher quality tank, each and every time.
Field Inspections, Modifications and Repairs
Our field crews are well qualified to modify tanks on-site at customer facilities and we also provide on-site inspection services of existing tanks and vessels. We will mobilize a supervisor to your facility to inspect a tank that has collapsed, look at cracks, pits, etc. After inspection, we provide our recommendations and a quotation for repair or replacement.
SFI utilizes various standards to ensure your product is built to the highest quality possible.
We hold the following certificates:
- ASME “U” certification
- National Board “R” certification
Other standards are utilized as required, such as:
- API 620 & 650
- ASME BPE Guidelines
- Canadian Registration Number (CRN) documentation
- Ministry of Manpower-Singapore (MOM) documentation
- PED (European Pressure Equipment Directive) “CE” Mark
Safety on a job site, whether it be yours or our own, is of critical importance to us and we invest significant resources in on-going training, safety management, and equipment.